It has taken me a very long time to find my voice. I haven’t always had the confidence to share a piece of my heart and mind but it was one of the most liberating things I have ever done. When you are able to find your voice, you create a healing both within yourself and also in the world around you. The truth matters. Your voice matters.
Does the thought of sharing a piece of your heart and mind make you nervous or make you want to run for the hills? I understand that. Stay with me a little while longer though and hopefully you will be empowered to find your voice and truly own it.
Why Owning Your Voice Sometimes Feels Impossible
I used to apologize for a lot of things in my life. I have seen amazing and powerful women apologize when they have done nothing wrong. We can be overwhelmed by the voices of the people around us or of what society says about how we should express ourselves (or not express ourselves for that matter). So much of what stands in the way of your ability to find your voice is the expectations or rules of the world around us. The voices of the people around us and the culture that we find ourselves in can overwhelm the voice within.
I remember at a very young age, maybe twelve years old, wanting to write a book. The idea for the book remains very clear more than twenty years later for me because it was my inner voice yelling at me for an outlet. I silenced it for so long because I was afraid of what others would think and because of the belief that I wasn’t good enough or smart enough to write a book. In the battle for truth and freedom, fear won out over faith in my own capacities.
How to Find Your Voice
There is a process to work through to find your voice. There is a process once you find your voice to truly own your voice. This is an important distinction to make: finding versus owning your voice. You must excavate the layers of doubt and fear that have been placed upon you in the many years that you have been walking on this planet.
Your voice is always there. It is a constant that we all carry. It is a natural intelligence that is as unique as every person and it never goes away.
- Decide – There will be a million moments where you must decide to stare fear in the face and leap anyway. I have learned that fear never really goes away. In fact, when we try to ignore it we tend to step directly into the limiting beliefs that the fear perpetuates. Can you cultivate outrageous bravery and decide to find your voice?
- Listen – Your voice is always speaking to you. It never goes away. We are born with a natural intelligence that guides us and speaks to us. By beginning to listen to what your voice is telling you, you can begin to trust that it is always guiding you. The key to listening is to begin to hear your voice and peel back the layers that have been covering what you really want to say and how you truly want to express yourself.
- Commit – You will be challenged. If the voice of fear doesn’t overwhelm you, then someone will disagree with you. Knowing that before you begin is a step in the right direction. It will take commitment not only to stand up in the face of fear and the voices of others, but simply to own your voice. Decide right here and now that you will no longer silence yourself. This commitment is the most important decision you will make (and continue to make) on the path to finding your voice.
- Share – Art lives in each individual. It is not an accident that you have been placed here. I know that there is a deep well of creativity within you that is as unique as you are. I know, because I also carry that same art within me. It is a powerful feeling to share that art with the world in whatever form it takes. Sharing this art is a gift not only to yourself but to the world around you but I know it can be scary. Begin by sharing it with the people that you trust. Don’t look to the people that will reinforce the doubt that you likely already carry. You must be an advocate for your voice at all times and sharing it with people that support you is crucial to your ability to find your voice and truly own it.
- Challenge all of it – I followed the “How to Live A Good Life” checklist. It led me to a place of comfort, security and external accomplishment. My inner voice never stopped speaking to me though and I knew that there was something more that would bring me happiness. That happiness is not an external condition however. I found my freedom by listening to, and trusting, my inner voice. I encourage you to challenge everything you have ever been taught about how you are supposed to live your life. Does it really resonate with you? Does it feel right for you? What makes you happy and fulfilled is not the same as what makes another person happy and fulfilled and you have the right to choose. There is freedom in choosing but you must challenge it all and decide to make the choices that are right for you.
Owning Your Voice
True empowerment comes when you find your voice and own it. You hold the keys and can decide in every single moment to move in the direction that your voice calls you in or back in the direction of safety and fear. When you decide to own your voice and share your story it can create a radical healing. When you find your voice it helps others to do the same.
Why it is Vital to Find Your Voice and Truly Own It
Nothing is more inspiring than authenticity. When you unburden yourself from your fear and step into the powerful person that you have always been, you create radical healing for yourself. When I think about my own journey, it was less about learning to be the person I am today and absolutely all about coming back to the person that I always was. There is so much power in owning your voice.
Share your story. By committing to finding your voice and truly owning it, you are reconnecting to your truth and the unique and soulful person that entered this world for a reason. You are a miracle simply because you are here and the world needs to hear your story. When you stand up and own your voice you give other people permission to do the same and that is how we create a revolution.
I am committed to holding space for anyone that needs support with tuning in and trusting their inner voice. I believe in the miracle that you are and one of my superpowers is to help you believe in what I see. Are you ready to find your voice and truly own it? I am here.