You are never going to be called to something that is not for you. I often say this to my clients. Or I say that you wouldn’t have the dreams if you didn’t have the capacities to fulfill them. Sometimes they rebel at this notion that there is nothing standing in their way of achieving their dreams except them. But what about all the “ya but’s” which are legitimate reasons why dreams remain just of reach? Does it take an immeasurable will to make all of your dreams come true? Does it take bucket loads of money? Why is it that some people seem to be able to create despite all the odds and others hold their dreams tightly and never really go after them?
I have read a lot of books and articles about manifesting and the field of potentiality and intention. They are fascinating topics and I love it when I feel connected to some energy source that is bigger than I am. I have moments where I can feel it. I have bought the books and listened to the podcasts. I have two angel card decks that I thought would give me all the answers about my fate and destiny. The only problem with making a decision based on a deck of spiritual playing cards is that the analytical part of my brain simply shuffles the deck if I don’t like what they are giving me. You can’t stay in the land of wishing for your dreams to come true. At some point you have to make them happen.
I am a practical human. I need to be able to sink my teeth into something or understand it intellectually, oftentimes, before I can feel it. I think that this is true for a lot of people. Faith is not something that is tangible to most people. It is however, an incredible feeling when you can be in the space of dreaming and taking action at the same time. I am in that space. There is a part of me that just absolutely knows that I am doing the work that I am meant to do. That doesn’t need to see it all because it is going to be better than I could ever imagine. That is faith for me. That is trusting. That is me knowing that it is all happening as it should. So how did I get here? How did I get to the space where I know that my dreams will come true?
What is Standing in Your Way?
What is the number one thing that stops most people from taking action towards a dream? We have all heard the rags to riches stories and I am sure that we are deeply drawn to them. What I see so often when faced with the ‘how to pursue your dreams’ conversation is that oftentimes, the dream is so clear if you give yourself permission to fully articulate it. This magical thing happens with my coaching clients where I get dropped into the deepest regions of their hearts and I get to know what makes them tick and what they can’t stop dreaming of. I believe that if we allow ourselves to do it, we can immediately articulate our deepest desires for ourselves and our own dreams that we want to come true.
What is stopping us then? It seems so simple to just say: fear. Maybe you were hoping for some earth-shattering revelation but call me boring, it is fear. I don’t want to underestimate the power of this emotion though. It has a purpose. It will keep you safe if you are being chased by a wild beast or dinosaurs. It will also keep you in the space of hoping that you too might see your dreams come true, one day. There is safety in that, but your dreams will continue to poke at you from the dark shelf you put them on. You are never going to be called for something that is not for you. Books, movie star, owner of an oceanic taco truck. Just try to ignore it. It will stay there. Big dreams have big staying power.
How to Make Your Dreams Come True
- Heal – There is a very good chance that your life hasn’t been easy. Mine has been extraordinary, in both utterly blissful ways and in ways that have left me drenched in pain. You can heal. If I can heal, so can you. If you heal the pain of the past you can free yourself to make your dreams come true. So much of what stands in our way is some version of feeling like you aren’t good enough. You don’t need fixing my sweet friend, you simply need healing. You can free yourself from the pain of your past or the limits that you place upon yourself. This is the first step to making your dreams come true: believing in your own abilities. By healing the pain that you carry in the present you can begin to build a future beyond your wildest dreams.
- Invite Fear Along – I think it is foolhardy to believe that you can live entirely fearlessly. I think that fear is a necessary part of our ability to navigate the world around us. You wouldn’t stand face to face with a dinosaur. Fear makes you hide in a cave and keeps you safe. It will also stand directly in front of you while you make your dreams come true. If you start to pursue those dreams don’t assume that you can out-muscle your fears. Invite them along for the ride. Make them a safe little space in the trunk of your car. They are there so don’t waste your energy fighting them. When a new fear pops up as you are creating, acknowledge it, learn from it and then you can send it with its partners in the trunk.
- Listen – You are more extraordinary than you give yourself credit for. Your inner voice is always guiding you. It is always speaking to you and nudging you in the direction of your dreams. Please listen to it. Make sure that what you are building is what you really want. Do you have other people’s voices in your head? Become deeply aware of what is guiding you and let go of what other people are advising or telling you to do. Making your dreams come true takes a lot of energy and commitment so those dreams need to have staying power for you. Don’t look at anyone else’s playbook. This is your life, and you must resist the temptation to measure it against anything other than your own natural intelligence.
- Look at your Experiences – Nothing is more powerful than the knowledge that you gain by having a depth of experience. A big part of healing is being able to look at your experiences, especially the challenging ones and ask yourself: “what did I learn?” There is a good chance that if you have overcome some things you have had to employ a depth of strength and skill to do so and that can never be taken away from you. Those skills, traits and characteristics that you either had to employ or that you learned can be used to create something for yourself. They are the foundation upon which to make your dreams come true.
- Take Small Aligned Action – You are not going to be called for something that is not for you. This sits on my window sill of my office as a reminder to always move forward. Your dreams are waiting for you just a little further down the road. You don’t have to have it all mapped out. You simply need to let your faith be bigger than your fear and to continue to move forward. Take the first small step, then the next. Keep your focus on the thing that you want most and listen to your inner voice and trust that it will take you there. The world will tell you what your life should look like. Your peanut gallery may be very vocal with the best of intentions. Try not to get stuck on the giant picture of how to make your dreams come true. What is the first step that you can take right now to head in the direction you want to go? Can you put that foot in front of the other and start now?
You are never going to be called for something that is not for you. I am probably starting to sound like a broken record but I know this to be true. Those dreams you are clutching to your chest…they are meant for you. They aren’t going anywhere. Fall in love with them and start to create space for them to come true. You can live a life beyond your wildest dreams. When you have healed your limiting beliefs and are taking small aligned action that is based on your inner wisdom you can create more than what you ever imagined possible. That is the space from which to make your dreams a reality.
So tell me: What is your heart begging for you to do?