I had final sessions with two of my coaching clients at the end of last week. It is both utterly amazing and totally sad to see our time together come to an end. To be a witness to the progress that they have made is extraordinary. Both of them have created so much healing and I know that they are going to continue to do incredible things with their lives. They are such an inspiration to me because they embody what it means to show true bravery.
When clients come to me and are interested in working with me, they all answer the following question: “what area of your life would you most like help with?” The answer is almost always, “I want to be more happy”. Absolutely! Who doesn’t want that? I understand it completely. Let me tell you though, not everyone gets to the stage of doing this work. I pointed out to my two clients on Friday how truly brave they were for doing this work and they both were surprised by the comment. It takes a radical act of bravery to let someone into your world, your heart, your mind and your past.
It takes a monumental willingness to create lasting change in your life. Coaching is a powerful practice. People tend to get accelerated results and oftentimes, smash through things that have been weighing them down their entire lives. So what makes my clients, both current and past, so truly brave?
- They Showed Up – Answering the question about the area of your life that you would like help with is easy. We are all searching for the same thing. We want true and lasting happiness in our lives. For most of us that looks like dealing with limiting beliefs and past pain and strengthening your relationship to yourself. The reason my clients are brave is because they showed up. Seems simple right? Nope! This is true bravery. So many people want to make a change in their lives but when it comes down to it, they cannot fully and truly commit to what it takes to see it through. Bravery isn’t facing a snarling animal or jumping out of an airplane, it comes in the tiny moments where the voices in your head are simultaneously telling you there is something more and that you don’t deserve it. Committing to yourself is true bravery.
- They Didn’t Hide – Let me tell you, this work is not easy. And I am not referring to my side of the relationship. I LOVE my clients. They inspire me constantly. When we get into a coaching relationship, nothing is off the table. I will ask the necessary and tough questions. I will not shy away from getting into the dark and heavies because unless you go there, oftentimes you are just putting a bandaid on a gaping wound. My clients don’t hide from me. They are challenged and they rise to the occasion. Their desire to truly change their lives means that they are willing to show up fully and dig through it all. This is brave. This is how you change your life.
- They Struggled – Sure I am a positive and uplifting coach but I can’t do the work for my clients. We meet every couple of weeks and in that time between meetings there are assignments and practices to do to keep moving them forward towards their goal. These are not always easy but they are very effective. The struggle that inevitably arises is so informative as a coach but not always easy to deal with as a client. They kept going. This is true bravery. Despite the struggles, they kept going.
- They Triumphed – My clients are extraordinary. They are the embodiment of true bravery because they triumphed. They did the work. We were in the trenches together and when we emerged on the other side, all I could do is step back and look at them in awe.
- They Don’t Need Me Anymore – This is where the sadness comes in for me. My clients don’t need me anymore. They say that when one teaches, two learn. This is so true for me. I learned so much from my clients and any skill I may possess as a coach is directly related to how truly brave my clients were to show up and do the work that they needed to, to create a life they are in love with. I know that I leave them in a place of healing, peace and happiness that can never be taken away from them. This is their new normal and it is extraordinary.
Do You Possess True Bravery?
My clients have gotten results because they decided that their bravery and their willingness to change was bigger than their fear. And holy moly we conquered some huge fears! You can hide your entire life. I have seen people who want to change their life so much never take the necessary step and commit. Why is that? They want happiness. They want change. They want freedom from their pain.
Doing this work is not easy but it is the best work you will ever do. At the end of it all we must face ourselves. There is no running from the limiting beliefs that cause you to feel stuck, unhappy or self-sabotage. You must heal your relationship to yourself first. This is true bravery.
Guess what? My clients are no different than you. In fact, I am no different than you. I have healed a past full of pain and trauma and come to a place of true and abundant happiness. This is my experience every single day. Happiness. Fulfillment. Freedom. You can too. You deserve it. You are worth of it. You are extraordinary too.
So tell me: Can you find a speck of true bravery and change your life?